Roanoke Church History

In the year 1857, Elder Benedict Weyeneth came to the Roanoke area, referred to by many as the "Prairie".  Weyeneth chose to settle near Roanoke because he learned a new railroad was to be built through the area.  He felt this would increase the population in the area and that spiritual opportunity would also grow.


This log barn was used when the congregation was too large to assemble in homes. (1860's to 1872)


This was thought to be the first church built on the Prairie at the site of the present church (Built in 1861)


The frame building was enlarged in 1864 and again in 1870.  Additions were made to include Sunday school buildings (1905) and a building to house the covered horse-drawn hearse. (1914)


Horse and buggies were used until about 1920.  The barns were later used to house automobiles.


This addition was built in 1872.  View from the Southeast


View from the Northwest

In 1929, the building was extensively remodeled which included brick veneering and modern facilities.  Dedication for the newly remodeled church was held January 19, 1930.


View of the front.

In 1884, a small church was built in the 400 block of West Davison in Roanoke to accommodate the congregation for mid-week services.  With improved transportation, the church in town was no longer needed and was sold on June 28, 1952.


A small addition was made in 1955.  In 1958, the front steps were enclosed and again remodeled to provide for additional Sunday school rooms, dining room, nursery, etc.  The baptistery was built within the pulpit area.


Early on the morning of June 20, 1964, the Roanoke congregation saw their church go up in flames and burn to the ground.  Late in the night of June 19, the church was apparently struck by lightning and was engulfed in flames shortly before midnight. 

This necessitated the planning and building of the present structure.  During the time that it took to plan and build the new church, the Roanoke congregation was invited by the Eureka congregation to share in their worship services.


The new church was dedicated on October 30, 1966.

Apostolic Christian Home of Roanoke

NursingHomeIn the fall of 1974, the Apostolic Christian Church of Roanoke purchased the nursing home.  The original building was constructed in 1958, however, before the Home could be reopened, extensive renovation was completed.  Many volunteer hours were put into upgrading and remodeling the facility before it reopened on May 5, 1975.  The Apostolic Christian Home of Roanoke is owned and operated as a non-profit corporation.  The Home has a Board of Directors that are chosen by the voting members of the church.

The Nursing Home has experienced much remodeling during its history with the largest renovation being completed in 1992.  This remodeling project provided a new dining room, kitchen, laundry facilities, physical therapy, and activity area.

The Home is licensed as a skilled long-term care facility.  It provides Medicare certified services as well as care for Medicaid eligible individuals.  The Home has 60 nursing beds with 10 private and 25 semi-private rooms.

In 1988 construction began on duplex units.  These units are located on Davison Street north of the Nursing Home.  This form of independent housing has proven to be well accepted over the years.  Ten buildings have currently been constructed.  These units are independent living units providing a maintenance-free environment.  Further developments in duplex housing will be completed in upcoming years on property adjacent to the current buildings.

The newest addition to the Home was constructed to its west in 1999.  This building consists of 14 units titled "Country View."  These apartments provide daily supportive services to its tenants including meals, laundry, and housekeeping.

To request further information about the Home or any of its services, please contact the Administrator or the Social Service Department at 923-2071.

Fellowship Hall

NursingHomeThe Roanoke Apostolic Chrisitan Fellowship Hall was built a few hundred feet northwest of the church. Dedication was held on July 20, 1977.

The use of the Fellowship Hall is limited to church activities that are an honor to God and in harmony with the sound Biblical teachings of our faith and doctrine.  These church activities include Sunday School functions, benefit dinners, hymn sings, choir practice, Bible studies, benefit sales, and private activities of the church such as weddings, receptions, anniversaries, and reunions.